Complaint Resolution

Yale encourages students to bring forth their concerns and has worked to enhance school-based and non-adversarial, dialogue-oriented responses. In many instances these mechanisms are effective in resolving concerns. The deans’ designees are available to assist students and resolve concerns through non-adversarial means. However, an informal approach is not appropriate in all circumstances and is not necessary for bringing a formal complaint. Students who want to pursue a formal complaint should speak to the Office of Institutional Equity and Access.

Students with complaints related to sex-based discrimination or sexual misconduct are encouraged to speak with the staff at the SHARE Center or with a Title IX Coordinator to review their options and available resources. Students may also contact the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (UWC) to discuss the UWC’s formal complaint process for sexual misconduct complaints. Information that may be useful to you is available on the Sexual Misconduct Response & Prevention website.