Get Help & Support

If you feel threatened or unsafe. . .

Call the Yale Police (203-432-4400) or 911 (for emergencies) immediately. 

If you have experienced discrimination or harassment and want to understand your options for resolution . . .

There are many university resources on campus to support you as well as individuals who can help you explore your options when you have questions or concerns.  You can reach out to a dean’s designee or the Office of Institutional Equity and Access. You can also talk with others with whom you are comfortable, such as your residential college dean, or the dean of student affairs in your school.  If you’d like to talk with someone about sexual misconduct or gender discrimination, you should reach out directly to the Title IX coordinator in your school (who in some cases is also the dean’s designee) or the Title IX office. The Sexual Misconduct Response & Prevention website is another helpful resource for  questions or concerns about sexual misconduct.

View a list of deans’ designees.

Learn more about how to report and resolve a concern.

If you have a complaint or concern related to a disability. . .

Students requesting accommodations for disabilities should contact the Student Accessibility Services.

Students with complaints or concerns related to a disability are encouraged to contact Valarie Stanley, the university Section 504 Coordinator and Director of the Office for Equal Opportunity Programs.

If you want to speak with someone confidentially. . .

Privacy concerns are often at the forefront when someone feels they have experienced discrimination or harassment. It is useful to know the confidentiality that individuals can expect from each of the university resources. University officials are trained in the importance of confidentiality and the protocols for maintaining that confidentiality.

Dean’s designees and representatives from the Office of Institutional Equity and Access will maintain the confidentiality of student complaints as much as possible, consistent with the nature of the concerns and your goals in the process.

When you consult in confidence, SHARE Center counselors, healthcare providers (including mental health practitioners), and chaplains in confidence, they, in their professional capacities, will not reveal any information you share without your explicit permission except in rare circumstances where your or another person’s health or safety is at imminent risk.

Title IX coordinators will not share identifying information with anyone beyond the Title IX office without your permission, except in the rare event of an immediate or ongoing threat to your safety or community safety. You may ask that concerns be pursued informally without revealing your name or other identifying details, but an anonymous complaint cannot be the basis for disciplinary action. In situations where a confidentiality request limits an investigation or prevents the university from taking direct disciplinary action, the university will take other reasonable steps to minimize the effects of the reported misconduct and to prevent its recurrence.

The Yale Police Department offers confidential consultations regarding possible criminal investigation. Ordinarily, the decision about whether or not to press criminal charges is up to you. In cases of sexual misconduct, the YPD will share information with the Title IX office, and will advise you about the resources and assistance the university can provide.

Certain individuals on campus have a responsibility to report allegations of sexual misconduct to a Title IX coordinator. These individuals include all faculty, certain administrators, UWC members, and students in official roles such as Communication and Consent Educators (CCEs), Peer Liaisons, and First-Year Counselors.

Some individuals, known as Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) under the federal Clery Act, also have a responsibility to report allegations of sexual misconduct to the YPD without including identifying details.

If you have a complaint or are seeking support related to sex-based discrimination or sexual misconduct . . .

Students with complaints related to sex-based discrimination or sexual misconduct are encouraged to speak with staff of the Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education (SHARECenter or to contact a Title IX Coordinator to obtain support and to understand their options. The Title IX website  and Sexual Misconduct Response and Prevention website outline the many services, resources, and reporting mechanisms available to address sexual misconduct. Students may also contact the UWC. For complaints relating to sex-based discrimination, students should contact a Title IX Coordinator.

If you wish, you may call the SHARE Center anonymously or contact one of the SHARE Center’s trained staff members.

If you want to file a formal complaint. . .

In many cases, complaints can be resolved informally through discussion-based resolution. If you want to file a formal complaint, you should work with the Office Institutional Equity and Access which will review the options with you.